1) Which angel came to talk to Joseph?
The angel’s name is not specified in the Bible, see Matthew 1:18-25.
2) How did Cleopatra kill herself?
She was poisoned in the bath by an asp. Although some people, including Plutarch, would disagree with that theory.
3) Which queen said “Let them eat cake?”
Maria Antoinette, although it is unlikely she did really say that.
4) Which famous red haired British woman fought against the Roman’s?
Boadicea of the Iceni tribe exacted war upon the Romans, e.g. she destroyed Colchester, although she was eventually beaten by them. Like Cleopatra, it is said Boadicea poisoned herself to be retain her dignity.
5) Who is the naughty faerie in Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream?
Puck! Naughty Puck!
6) Which Roman Emperor made candles out of Christians?
(The Evil and barking mad) Emperor Nero.
7) Which queen was alive when Shakespeare was?
Queen Elizabeth I (1533 – 1603) was on the throne in England during Shakespeare’s (1564 – 1616) life time.
8) By pulling a sword from a stone, who became an English King?
King Arthur pulled the sword, thereby fulfilling the prophecy of who would become king.
9) Which three presents did the three Kings bestow upon Jesus?
Gold, frankincense and myrrh.
10) Name an exploit of Alexander the Great’s.
Conquering Egypt, trouncing Darius of Persia, attempting to invade India. The list goes on, megalomaniac that he was!
11) Which Victorian poet wrote In the Bleak Midwinter?
Christina Rossetti wrote the poem sometime prior to 1872. Since it was set to music by Gustav Holst in the 20th century it has become one a most popular Christmas carol.
12) Who brought Christmas trees to Britain in the 19th century?
Prince Albert introduced this German tradition into Britain, although the tradition itself dates back as early as the 15th century.
13) Odysseus was stuck on an island for several years. Who with?
Calypso was Odysseus’ jailer for years, although she was also his liberator.
14) Who did Paris fall in love with?
Helen of course, the face which launched a thousand ships!
15) Which star is said to be the brightest?
Sirius; not the North Star as people typically think.